Tuesday, March 08, 2022

Jumping Turning Back Kick

Whoop!

Not to jump the shark, but this was a small, but mighty piece of last night's work.  

Bill and I met on Saturday and had a long practice.  I am slowly, but surely coming along on my comfort with all the different pieces of the exam and can see different spots that need work.  One of those pieces is the break.  In the video you can see the the rack. The rack on the wall holds the piece steady.  We have a pile of break-a-way boards of various strengths so one can see how much energy they need to use.  

In my home practice, I started kicking pillows while I got the dynamics of the kick squared away.  I moved up to kicking a cardboard box with a target on it so I could make sure that I was hitting the right spot.  On Saturday Bill had me use a break-a-way for the first time on my Ee dan dwi cha gi, which is the Korean for a jumping turning back kick.  I was successful, albeit a bit nervous because the target area is fairly modest compared to my foot.  

At the end of class last night Colette was asking me about the practice, but I made sure that she knew that I had not used wood on the kick.  This was in hopes that I'd get another chance at the kick.  I was given size options which I'm not sure I understand fully.  I went with the 12" because it looked easier target wise, but the inference was that it would be more difficult.  Then they gave me to two stacked!  Bill and I set up the wall dummy and I did the kick without any difficulty, but when we reviewed the video my floor foot really should come up into the tucked position, but she said I cleared five inches or so and that was all that was needed.  I'll practice that some more so it's good.

Earlier in the evening I took an allergy pill not realizing that it wasn't the non-drowsy kind. By the time we were lining up I was swaying a bit.  I didn't openly yawn, but I was working hard to concentrate on the upcoming Sunday training for trainers. The school wants to standardize all the training methods, so students all get the same info no matter the source.  I don't know if I want to become a trainer necessarily, but extra training sounds good especially with my wife gone for the week.  That means I won't be pulled into different directions with housework and still trying to get some beatings in. 

Finally, I have a timeslot for the closed book test!  It's most likely going to be on Thursday morning during class.  Both Andy and Colette are going to be out because of Andy's knee replacement.  But I'll practice my test at home today just to make sure there isn't some kind of surprise tomorrow.  




 

No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...