Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Innovation Breaks Stability

Separating the wild horse's mane


I love Wushu/Kung Fu moves that have their name derived from what the move looks like.  'Brushing the horse's mane' and stuff like that.  Today class didn't have the classy names, but Colette decided that we need to try something a little interesting when I'm totally focused on rote repetition of moves.  Makes things tough, but interesting.

We have two sets of basic moves, Ho Shin Sul and Ill soo sik.  The former is wrist locks and how to break them and flow into a reversal that include punches and kicks.  The latter is considered one step sparring which is based on an opponent throwing a punch.  This is followed by blocks and responding punches and kicks.

I'd done this once before with Andy and had forgotten how he approached it.  I thought we started with the wrist grab and then moved to the sparring combos.  So Bill and I went that route and practice how to follow up from one exercise to another.  

At one point Colette want to see some demos of what we put together and picked me and Bill. Clearly, we got it wrong. She just had me attack and then use a wrist lock and following moves.  I got the idea and was able to two poorly executed combos and then had to high tale it to get to work.  I wasn't with it this morning.

---

Saturday's session with Bill - I got an hour in and we went through HSS and ISS pretty good, so I asked to go through kicking drills.  I'm still confused with a few of the kicks names.  Apparently, that's universal hah!

Monday night class - Mr. Moore is still running class, but no more masks at least.  We found out that Andy is back, but doing basic rehab after the knee replacement.  

It's strange to see everyone's faces.  I'm self-conscious because my face seems over the top expressive to me.  And I'm hopeful that we don't fall back into another round of a new variant, but based on the last couple of years we should probably have two weeks before lock down again.  Hah!

No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...