Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Blocks and Kicks and Things Between

Keith JKN is back today and the schedule for our Tuesday is Basics and Forms. As we push forward in basics I'm getting more and more challenged by the difficulty level. The words are coming a bit easier, but I got bogged down in the chamber for all the hand techniques. There are many!

In SBD they don't stack hands in chamber (yet), but at the level I'm working at it's mostly fists or hand at the belt in horizontally or in a open hand triangle. And then there's a reduction in force with my blocks. I'm so used to blocking with tons of muscle that throttling is a massive challenge. Keith is trying get me to only use my hip movement to move my arms into place. It really helps my hip movement, but putting it together takes some concentration which throws me off consistently.

We then moved to kicks, which I would say I'm slowly get worse at. Balance and flexibility seem to be going by the wayside. To be fair Keith is complimentary on a few things, but I wasn't on the ball today. The jumping front kick turned to a mess, then the front to roundhouse turned into a mess and finally the back kick was going well for a second and then fell apart. The final straw was the straight leg hook kick. I can't even do it. Just crap.

He pointed out that my previous experience was good for all the hand work, but a lot of work needs to happen on the kicks. Sigh. Just when I was hoping to show some progress it felt like a massive backward step.

On a positive note I got to break again. A hammer fist. It's got to be the weirdest attack I've ever seen, but I did a nice job on that. All the way from my hip, all the way around the should and head and down. I can't imagine where you'd get to use it, but fun.


Like this, but different. I got to stand for mine.


No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...