Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Porkchop On Head

My nickname should be "fine tune".  It's not like being taught from the ground up, but because I have a background everything I do needs to be tweaked.  Today was a case in point.  Keith JKN was checking my nihanshi cho dan and we had to basically take apart everything from the ground up.  From where arms go to hip work, it ended up feeling like I was learning the whole form all over again.  At the very least I was able to make it look somewhat presentable by the end of class.  

Before we started on forms, we ran through all sorts of basics.  I think we are working on skills somewhere between 6th and 4th gup.  Soo Bahk counts from 10 to 1, so looking in the manual I think that I've been working the hands up to level 4 and my kicks are in 5.  My ho sin sul (self defense)  is way back down to level 8.  I guess my nickname is mishmash.

I wanted to practice a few kicks before we got rolling today and I definitely wanted to try that straight leg hook kick (Yup Hu Ri Gi) and get that better before moving on.  Keith got a water dummy and I had to attack that with the heel and a straight leg.  It was a bit difficult to keep my leg rigid, but I was getting there.  A note from Keith was that I needed to keep in mind that a majority of kicks in SBD are heel centric.  This also helps me keep my toes back, and possibly be able to hit with the ball of my foot.

There are three forms related to the 1st degree (cho dan) and we started working on Nihanshi.  After a run through, Keith noticed that I needed to keep down lower and not bob up.  To do that he kept a focus paddle over my head.  At this school it's called a porkchop.  Hah!

A couple of notes from that kata:

  • practice keeping low
  • slap comes from armpit
  • use those hips to drive all arm movement
  • don't stand up
  • start with left foot coming up
  • end with right foot coming up

I'll need to get some video that, but in the meantime here's the closest I could find on the internet.




No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...