Friday, August 20, 2021

The Talk

pretty much like this


There comes a time in every martial artists life where the teacher casually brings up testing.  This is my second transfer to a new art and the conversation really didn't come up in the beginning of my work at this school.  I believe the prevailing thought was that I needed to work on a transfer of belt status so they needed to see what I remembered.  

As per usual I'm pretty much focused on just trying to do what's in front of me and really don't think too much about testing.  If you've read this blog long you'll know how focused I was on the tests at my old school.  The count of years disappeared quickly when you have to learn so much in a relatively short time.  

In this school I've been keeping my eye on learning.  Redoing basics, learning language and figuring out protocol.  Time has been passing and my process has accelerated because I'm basically taking private lessons three times a week.  So I'm starting to see progress in skills and so are my teachers.  

At the end of class today Andy asked if I'd be interested in testing in the Spring or another year (October).  I honestly hadn't thought about it.  After mulling it over in my head for a few moments I said that my kicks/foot work were probably pretty behind and my ability with the language was poor.  Andy's response was to tell me that my kicks were probably better than his.  That seemed like a trick.  Was this exam one of those things that seems easier than the work sheets and skills indicate?  I doubt it.  Was this misplaced confidence in my basic skills?  Probably.  

In the end I chatted with him about reviewing my progress mid-fall to see where I was.  April might be realistic, but I have no idea at this point.  

While I was leaving I ran into Mr. Holman (another student) and he asked about my testing in April.  How many people talk about me?  Very weird.  

Third day schedule is wrist locks and one-step sparring.  My learning rate is slow to me, so we don't often cover a lot of ground, but I was able to get through the six wrist locks to some degree of satisfaction.  We didn't make it to any one-step stuff, but I'm not complaining as what I'm learning seems to be sticking now.  

No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...