Friday, August 13, 2021

Friday Training Update

Since I get up so early it can be a trial to get from here to there in the house due to the lack of light.  When I first started at the school it was mid summer so it was light all the time.  Today I was stumbling around trying to find shoes and keys.  Making all kinds of noise.  Since the house is in a mid construction state we don't have a door squared away on our bedroom so I walk around the house via braille.  I'm trying desperately not to wake my wife up, so I'm going to have to figure something out for next week.

I got up early today so I was doing forms in the dusk making sure not step on a cat while I ran through the moves.  I was mostly focusing on landing my punch at the same time my foot landed.  Seemed to go well this morning.  

Keith was a bit late so we jumped in with a few basics to act as a warm up.  I'd showed up early again to get warmed up, but Keith pointed out that it doesn't matter how warmed up I am I'm probably always going to be sore if I push my ability.  That seemed nice, I think.

As I struggle with the language (for example the number eight sounds like the word "turn" to me) I often freeze during the call of the technique.  Maybe I was a little bit better today.  Or maybe it was because they were words I've used several times this week. 

After a warmup and some tuning we went on to wrist grabs which are also known as self defense (Ho Sin Sul). I'm supposed to know about six at this point, but we don't often get to them since I'm slogging through so much, but we got four complete. As usual it's all about basic technique and not brute force.  Stuff I struggled with ever since I've started.  Bad technique leads to  using muscle which doesn't work half the time.  

After that we moved on to Il Soo Sik (one step sparring).  The first one (Il bon) is blocking with a knife hand, punch to the center, punch to the head and then roundhouse.  We worked at that for some time and then, bam, we ran out of time. 

I feel sort of bad for Keith.  He's working so hard for me and we end up burning an hour working out details.  I just hope they don't want to test me anytime soon!   

 

No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...