Thursday, August 19, 2021

Nostalgia Forms

Back when I was in Tang Soo Do (7 or 8 years ago?) things in our school were still coming together.  My teacher hadn't really decided on an advanced curriculum by the time I was in my brown belt years.  So I was left to my own devices to work on forms.  I have a few TSD manuals and DVDs so I would study them diligently and try to work out the moves to forms that we hadn't studied yet.  One of these was Bassai.  In most of the curriculums it was a requirement for black belt.   

So I printed out every move on a separate piece of paper and taught myself.  Part of my exam was to create a kata so I cribbed many components of Bassai and my testing board seemed to appreciate that.  

Fast forward many years and I'm a Shudokan guy.  Guess what? Bassai is a standard there.  Sure enough they have it as a requirement for getting your black belt!  Not that I could remember much at that point, but I learned it again and the attendant bunkai for the exam.  I promptly forgot it as I started study for my Nidan.  

Fast forward a few more years and here I am in the present.  I will be required to do three kata for my Chodan in SBD, which includes Bassai!  

I'd been working on Chil Sung Ee Ro and Nihanshi chodan (yet another I had to do to get my Shodan in Shudokan!) and, apparently, am doing well enough that Andy decided it was time to work Bassai.  What a trip down memory lane.  It was hard to concentrate at one point because of all the intrusive memories.  However, once we got started I realized that all three versions I've learned are similar, but have enough differences I'm essentially learning a new thing.  We got up to the first 15+ moves and then we ran out of time.  

Fancy and fast - not me.

Form notes:

Chil Sung 
- Punch is on the rising knee side
- rising knee is just that, not a kick
- two moves and pause for big breath
- three count after keyhap

NiHanShi
- after slide to right, block has crossed elbows and a foot stomp.
- hips in second punch.  

No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...