Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Slight Change In Schedule

As September comes around, the schedule at the school is changing significantly.  Thankfully my time with Keith is remaining the same, but moving to a wed - fri schedule.  He has another obligation on Tuesday morning, but the "private lesson" vibe is still in place.  I can't imagine anyone else actually joining us a the 5:45 time, but you never know.  

Today was basics and I'm now working in the 6th to 5th range for foot techniques and 5th to 4th for hand techniques.  Unfortunately, this means jumping techniques for me.  Grim stuff. 

At least I think it's grim stuff.  I keep looking at the flexibility in the advanced moves and asking myself if I'm able to do this.  I'm incrementally improving, but I'm definitely not good.  I'm stuck with thinking I might be too old and then thinking, "hey I'm able to do this!?"   

Today's case in point was a jumping kick. The jumping side kick (Ee Dan yup podo cha gi).  No necessarily something complex but I made a hash out of it.  The secret is to have the landing foot heel pointed at the target.  It forces the hip over.  One good one out of twenty or thirty kicks.  I definitely felt some frustration.  I was doing plenty bad on the regular kicking, but the jump is so filled with thinking.  Shutting off the brain would be easier for sure.  

Hand techniques were way easier, but still need fine tuning, but nothing complex.  Today we moved into a bit of combo work.  High block, middle punch; low block, high punch, and then double knife hand block and strike at the same time.  Fun!  Old memories.

In order to remember things a bit better I had my wife test me in Korean to see if I can sort out the technique.  A bit better.  

Incremental gains!




No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...