Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Bassai and Breaking

Normally my first day of the training week is dedicated to basics, but Andy took a slight turn so we could continue working on the form, Bassai.  

We started out by doing a few basics, but to spice it up I was instructed to do combos.  Kick to block or kick to strike.  That was fun and definitely warmed me up.  For once I was looking pretty comfortable and managed to keep my balance most of the time.  By the end I was getting shaky and I'm not totally sure why.  I wasn't tired, but my balance was giving up and causing a cascade of errors.  

We spend the rest of the class on Bassai.  I imagine I'm over half way complete, but we went over my progress and cleaned up a few items and added a lot more steps.  I'm remembering a lot more from the past which surprised me.  It's probably been eight plus years since I did the TSD version and I only did a few times at Shudokan.  

Since I've started with SBD, I've been commiserating with my old web cohort Bob Patterson.  He's retired from Martial stuff for the time being, but remains a great source when referring from jumping from art to art.  We have been going back and forth about requirements and I was expressing concern with breaking due to my lack of experience.  I knew he did complicated kicks at one point and while we were talking about the different things he pointed out that he had to do a brick break!  What!?  They had concrete bricks and he went through it in one, but he said afterwards his forearm hurt for a week.  I guess we  know where the stress goes!

He said practice impact as much as you can.  I got figure out how to do that!

No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...