Thursday, January 06, 2022

Surprises And Mnemonics

We had another surprise snowstorm last night, so Keith wasn't able to get out of his driveway again.  I didn't have a prior arrangement with Andy, so I was hoping his doorbell was working.  

For a place that rarely gets snow at all, this winter has been filled with continuous surprises.  Thankfully my house is located on a flat spot, and I have a truck so getting to school isn't a big deal to me. I'm deeply looking forward to spring and some warmth.  

I got to the school and rang Andy's doorbell, but the lights were off, and I couldn't hear anything.  The school lights were on, and the door was unlocked so that was a good sign.  I started warming up and heard Andy heading down to the school a few minutes later.

He asked what I'd like to work on, which is a great sign of respect, I think.  I see it as him valuing my own insights.  He knows I can identify my own weak spots and knows I want to attack them.  

Thankfully I'm not as sore as I thought I was going to be from yesterday's faux exam but warming up was a bit of a challenge this morning.  My cat, Louie, decided that he wanted to be held while I was till rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.  I did my forms while holding him.  I figured that I was getting extra leg work with him purring loudly in my ear.

So, when Andy asked me what I wanted to work on I was glad to leave the kicks behind for a day.  I was getting frustrated by my inability to remember what the next technique in Ho Shin Shul (wrist locks/self-defense).  This time I ran over to the white board to write a mnemonic for each one hoping to learn something.  


This dazzling photo is my notes from this morning.  I'm hoping to sort a pattern I can remember.  For instance:
- I can remember the first two cross grips.  They are deeply imbedded, but then we get to three and four.
- Three is the "legal" because we cross the T and dot the Eye.  Humor for the elbow work.  
- Four is called the "baseball bat" because of the grip.  This one ends in a head butt.  So the mnemonic is, first you use legal means then you take a baseball bat to them and finally a head butt.  

As you can see, I'll use anything to remember this stuff.  My favorites are the last couple.  The "neutered chicken" and the "double Losers".  Hah.

The class went by at horrific speed, and I came out feeling way better than yesterday.  

Side note - I've done the second draft of my essay.  I want to hold a day or two on that one before submitting just to make sure it makes sense.


No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...