Tuesday, January 04, 2022

BB Requirement One

I've missed a few posts over the last week due to being focused on completing at least one piece of my black belt paperwork.  Whenever I've had time, I've been editing my responses on my open book exam and sending them in to Colette for notes and corrections.  Yesterday was my fourth submission and she accepted it.  Now I need to work on my essays.  One is what SBD means to me and another one about the president's tour several years ago.  

I'd glossed through the requirements for the personal essay and thought I saw 2000 to 4000 words.  I mean I love to type, but I wasn't sure if I could stretch myself to get something that large done without really getting boring and using a lot of filler.  I'd mentioned that last night and both instructors laughed and said that I need to stop at a thousand words.  Whew.  I'm already at a thousand, but now I need to go back and tighten up what I've written.  And then it'll be on to writing about the Presidential vision tour. 

Back in 2011, the president visited our school, but he'd begun regional tours back in 2003.  After his father died, he decided he needed to get out and see how to draw things together and really solidify the organization.  I need to write about that and thankfully that'll just be a page.  

---

Other than an endless list of Korean words and protocol I've been struggling to remember, my focus has been to address weak spots in my requirements and really lean into them to get them more comfortable.  To that end I've been adding one-step sparring to my regular practice.  Unfortunately, the moves haven't really set in my mind, so I need to refer to my notes regularly.  I'm now adding in the wrist grabs, but documentation to actual movement is horrible.  So, I'll try to get my instructors to focus on that as much as possible.  

Last night I worked on one-steps, but Andy decided to break it up by going in reverse.  That provided a challenge and really threw me off.  I barely remember any of it and that made me seem even more fractured.  Colette was my partner for most of it.  I was so confused by the backward countdown of techniques that I couldn't keep anything straight.  I really felt bad for her because I needed constant hints to get through the techniques.  

An additional excitement is that we are having a big clinic this weekend, where we'll learn about use of hips and then, possibly, learning about breaking from the regional examiner.  Pretty heady stuff after the endless memorizations.  


No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...