Thursday, July 01, 2021

Virtual Beatings

Years ago my buddy Todd would playfully scold his dog, but saying, "beatings!"  After laughing because the dog saw it as an invite to play, I stole it for my karate class at the time.  Everyone in my circle called it beatings from then on.  At my new SBD school it hasn't come up because of the generally serious nature of things there.  But in my mind it's a filler word for many of the things said.  

Each week we have a have a word or concept to focus our development.  This week was Moo dan(?) jaseh.  If I have the words correct, it means "martial stance."  I won't bore the readers with reading into that, but as the teacher went into that all I could think of was "beatings!"

Because my normally expansive jocularity is being suppressed, I'm actually paying more attention and have a better idea of what's going on in class.  When the teachers were busy for a minute I asked a few of the other students about the upcoming virtual tournament.  I'd never heard of one and they didn't seem to know much about it.  As if by providence, Sabom Nim started talking about it and I just assumed my newness precluded me from participation.  I was wrong.  She was encouraging all of us to participate including me.  

Apparently, this was a one off due to the plague so they are doing the national and international tournament via video submission.  So no sparring, but just forms.  Since I'm a tentative first rank they want me to submit something and that ended up being the form below.  Fairly simple, but a requirement for a first dan in SBD.  So I'm to refine this as much as possible - see below:




Sorry about the editing.  Anyway, this will hopefully look more refined in the next couple of weeks.  


No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...