Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Early O 'Clock - Day Two

It was a long day yesterday due to the lack of sleep and all the exercise, but last night I slept great or at least it felt that way.  I notice my sleep app always seems to give me a slightly worse review that what I feel like I got.  Ah well.  I woke up sleepy, but not wrecked and went directly to beatings were I got some more warm up time.  

We worked on a few review items from yesterday, but moved on to the next rank up basics (7th).  The posters with Korean are still a bit of a mystery but some of the words are finally sticking.  Front, side, stance, etc.  It makes things a bit easier to absorb, but I have to ask for things to be repeated slowly so I can maybe learn a word each class.  

One new block, two new punches/attacks, one new stance and three new kicks.  
  • Outside to inside block -  feels like a strike to me, but instead of started at the ear we now just come from the shoulder.  
  • Side punch - new mechanics with more hips
  • Elbow attack - which is a new one, but I saw a little kid try to break a board doing this.  Lot of power can be generated in the hips
  • Back stance - I would say it was a modified cat stance.  Heels line up, so I'm using different thigh muscles.  They want me low.  Ouch.  
Kicks
  • stretch kick, stepping behind - dear god, thankfully this isn't extreme.  It feels incredibly painful if you push it.  Swing your leg up while stepping through backwards.  Yahhhh
  • step through side thrust kick - back to kicking above the belt and trying to keep my balance.  My god that's tough.  The added dynamics to do this SBD style is maddeningly difficult.
  • spinning rear leg side kick - sure, why not make is harder?  Supposedly easier because of forward momentum, but I love to straighten my down leg so balance just goes away.  Weee.
Wrist lock escapes
  • twist your wrist and add three strikes
  • twist your wrist while striking and then add three strikes.   
I'm hoping to do this a bit more since they don't feel sunk in after one session, but tomorrow should be one-step sparring which isn't necessarily tough, but remembering patterns at 6am might be a challenge.

I asked today where I need to be looking during an attack.  Directly in the eyes.  It was so intimate it made me laugh.  I'm used to looking at the spot where the shoulders meet the neck.  Less intimate?



No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...