Tuesday, July 27, 2021

I Pity The Fool Who Can't Jump

I'm not sure if Tae Kwan Do does this, but as you go up in levels of belts difficulty gets compounded.  For instance a same side punch goes to a opposite side punch (to your stance) as you go up next in rank.  Same with kicks.  The first kick is the front push kick and now I'm around the 6th Gup it's turned into a jumping front kick.  Not horribly complex, but you have to push the hip forward in the air, which I found complicated.  I got it fairly quick, but it was challenging.  

In my mind I thought, "this isn't going too bad since it all echoes stuff I've done over the years".  And then we got to the jumping spinning back kick.  Good gravy.  

I'm writing down the steps so maybe I can remember a bit.

  • back stance - hul gul
  • front leg goes up for prep for turn
  • jump while turning body
  • front leg should end up with heel toward target
  • back foot becomes kicking foot
  • tons of stuff I'm missing
Rebuilding this kick over and over again was pretty tough.  Targeting, keeping my knees bent, etc.  

Mr. Mack is going out for the next two days so I'll get SBN Andy to torture me for the next two mornings.  He's off the sick list and back in the game.    

Here's a little example that's slightly different from what I learned this morning from the Ginger Ninja.



No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...