Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Heat Wave Babble

I was trying to think of some cohesive theme to make a catchy title for today's post, but I woke up at 2:40 am and struggling just to be coherent.  I mean to say that I didn't get back to sleep so I'm punchy and emotional.  My watch tells me that I got 2 hours of good sleep and I agree.  Ugh.

This is disappointing since I went back to class last night.  Normally, the activity really helps me to sleep and I went to sleep hard last night.  I'm up in the Pacific Northwest and the heat has broken all records.  No one has air conditioning up here because they never needed it before.  We tried all our tricks to keep the house cool, but it didn't work.  The last couple of nights the house was in the 90s.  No sleep and straight up miserable.

Sabom Nim sent out an email to notify everyone that the school has AC.  I was the first in the door and I drug my feet leaving.  She invited me to the next class, but I had to get back to the house to do some more work.  

The teachers are still running me through the basics to make sure I look smart, but I feel clunky and have to think all the time which really reduces any sense of flow.  It's also personally embarrassing to be doing basics poorly.  I know I'll get better, but fighting all the technique I learned from a Japanese style is fairly hard.  

The curriculum I'm working on is basic white belt stuff (9th gup).  Three blocks, two punchs and six kicks.  Shudokan is not this kick intensive so it's a work out for me even at the basics.  

The issue I'm experiencing at the moment is not necessarily inflexibility, but the higher I kick the more my lower back comes into play.  So this morning my lumbar is complaining.  My PT thinks is arthritis, but feels like I can get some relief if I do my flexibility exercises regularly (which I haven't).  Working at the house hasn't helped.  There is no easy way to do floor work that doesn't set my back off.  Now that that stuff has slowed I might be in a position to heal a bit.


No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...