Friday, July 16, 2021

Kyum Son Means Humility

Last night was test night, but the kids classes are the standard organized pandemonium that seems prevalent in any martial art school.  This is compounded by a rigorous schedule.  I showed up a bit early to warm up, but that wasn't going to happen because there is a class directly before the one I was supposed to attend.  

So I sat and stayed quiet while one of the most patient people on earth tried to teach some four and five year olds how to do a presentation for a video submission.  I kept saying in my head, "bless her heart," and "what a glutton for punishment."  

Once they bowed out the next class was getting organized.  Colette SBN was trying to get a video participant on line squared away and a field of eight to ten year olds organized for their videos.  While another Jokyo worked on basics with them Colette grabbed me and another 8 year old to work on our basics for our "test".  I wasn't clear on the test part as it seemed super informal in my case, but it consisted of all our basics, one form, sparring with me and breaking a board for my diminutive partner.  With four feet in height disparity I felt that I had the advantage, hahah, but I have to admit the kid wasn't intimidated.  Since it wasn't a contact thing we spun around each other and chucked kicks and punches at one another until Colette called it about two minutes in.  

At this point I assumed we'd have a formal test in front of a judging table, but she stopped at that point to get the video submissions of all the kids for the virtual tournament. So I sat with the kids while one by one they got up to perform.  As you can imagine the lack of experience for an eight year old who just started a few classes ago lent to some dramatic revisioning of the basic forms.  It was a bit hard to watch at times but everyone was very supportive.

So my question was did I take a test?  I'm not really sure, but I did everything pretty poorly.  My struggle with Korean is an ever present obstacle and then there was the constant corrections.  I don't there was one item that didn't need a fix and Colette was there pointing them out.  Ouch.  Right in the pride.  

Due to the mayhem that was the class and the next people coming in as we bowed out I didn't get to find out what was what, but I was left with this comment, "we'll keep working on this basics for now."  Ouch. Right in the pride.  

No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...