Thursday, July 22, 2021

Early O' Clock - Day Three

I'm not sure one gets used to this schedule, but today was day three of the 5:45 schedule.  Today was all about one-step sparring.  I'd learned various forms of this at my old Tang Soo Do school.  Basically your opponent gives you a punch and you work on a predetermined response so long that it becomes ingrained at a neurological level.  Of course you work on basics the whole time, which in theory, making you better in all areas.

I was really appreciating the prolonged warmup today.  My muscles are struggling to adjust to most of the hip based work we do for punching, blocking and kicking.  The full twists are loosing up long dormant tendons and muscles that have shrunken and tightened.  I notice that I'm pleasantly sore this morning versus Tuesday evening where I couldn't even move a few steps without groaning.  

To warmup we did the first three forms for SBD.  Super basic "I" shaped stuff to make sure you know how to move, turn, block and strike.  Mack JKN ran me through each to make sure I remembered the forms and then ran them all together.  One of the eight concepts of SBD is En Neh (endurance), so if I overdid the muscle work on this I would be exhausted by the end.  Mack was pointing out that I was giving nearly 100% effort, so I needed to relax a bit to make it through.  

After that, we went to the one step sparring.  The first set is a knife-hand block, middle punch, high punch and a round house kick.  Seems simple right?  I ran into timing issues, stances issues, Eye contact issues and a shoddy kick because I kept straightening my leg.  Sigh.  

I think I improved by the end of a class, but I have to practice during the weekend so I don't forget what I've picked up.  Definitely need to practice roundhouse kicks.  



Me in action this morning


No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...