Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Sick Hands Bro!

Just some quick notes for today.  SBN Andy is back after his medical hiatus and apparently good to go.  My normal guy Keith JKN is out for a few days so the private lessons continue just with another teacher.  Where Keith focuses on basics, Andy focuses on the wrist grabs and one-step sparring.  So I end up having a full range of items that I'll be expected to know for my future testing.  

Wrist grabs and releases are called Ill Soo Sik.  I think I can remember Il (Sick) Soo (Hands) Sik (Sick again).  Double sick hands bro!  

The releases come with a follow up of three strikes.  So it feels like one-step sparring with a bit of purpose.  Beware anyone that grabs my opposite wrist standing in front of me, hah!

Andy told me that I had 19 to learn altogether for my cho don exam (1st degree black belt).  That's sounds daunting to me now, but if I practice this regularly this will hopefully become automatic.  

Like my Tang Soo Do school from almost a decade ago I'm back to using some borrowed Aikido.  One of the old moves (wrist twist) is back with corrections.  Keeping my hands in front of me instead of behind my head keeps me from being sat on my butt.  

My biggest note was that the first two techniques were difficult to get going, but after that everything went easily.  I'm not sure if it was me waking up or relaxing and not over thinking.  Maybe both.

  • Elbow release, palm to mouth, palm to groin, side hand to chest
  • Wrist rollover, forearm to wristlock, elbow to head, turn to do elbow to chest.
  • Elbow release, back fist to nose, fist to groin, ridge hand to ear.
  • Push release, left chop to neck, palm to face, palm to groin, side hand to chest.
  • Missing one?


Ouch!



No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...