Tuesday, June 07, 2022

Red Heat

My wife took a look at my blog a few days ago and gave me an editorial review.  It would appear that I need to make things a bit more interesting than what I've been doing. 

I got the feeling that my extemporaneous comments about my classes have a very limited audience.  I tried to explain that it was just like a diary that I happen to share. I think she said I could probably still try to write better.  

I'll try to punch up the writing.  

---

There is a scene in the movie, "Red Sonja" (1985) where Ernie Reyes Jr., a very young man, copies the actions of Arnold Schwarzenegger while he is in a fight with Red Sonja.  

Fast forward to 3:30 to see reference.

I got a taste of this while going over the basics with my classmate.  He's ten years old and it way more physically adept than I am.  However once in a while we get in sync and it's glorious.  

I referenced the new basics a few times and I want to point out that the level of complexity has gone way up.  For instance, the first one is three moves (block, punch, kick).  The idea being that even at the very start, the new basics are more physically demanding.  The one-time Jack and me were in sync were a shay-han move.  

This the lowest of low blocks.  It's a signature move for Soo Bahk Do.  
Knees screaming on me.

We do this and then do a jumping front kick. Please remember I'm twice his height and possibly one and half times his weight.  So, when we do something with the same timing and with the same force we look like a ballet.  This happens about three times during our fifteen techniques.  

The other highlight from the evening was our box jumps.  To prep for the double kick, which will be our next break, I need to be able to jump from one spot and kick out with both legs and break two boards with each foot.  Not easy.

The highlight was in the practice.  Usually when I jump up on the stack it's very nerve racking because I can barely make it.  Last night I had no trouble hitting leap on the first try.  Whoop!





No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...