Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Broken By Basics

After getting back from visiting my Dad I was exhausted.  The visit is emotional, the downtimes caused me stress, and the travel was beyond tiring and frustrating.  I got home late by a day and missed beatings for that day.  I ended up missing the next day due to jetlag.

I was back at it on Monday night, but not enthusiastic like usual.  I was excited to be working on new material, but I felt so fractured and tired.  

I got to class just as we were ready to start.  The theme of week is contraction and expansion, a regular theme in all our moves.  However, we were supposed to pay special attention to it today.  This posed a problem as we were working on basics.  That's a challenge as we were learning them for the first time so adding finesse didn't really happen.  

Basics for the 2nd degree level (Ee Dan) are all combos and some challenging ones at that. I immediately began to struggle with the Korean, but Colette took easy on us and let us sort them out and only corrected as needed.

By the fifth set of techniques, I was getting pressed hard.  Blocking in insanely low stances and then popping up in a jumping kick.  It just got harder after that.  The tenth technique is an inside crescent kick followed by a jumping turning crescent kick.  When done well it looks great, but that wasn't me.  Colette was free with her corrections.  She realized that I wasn't doing the kick as per instruction.  I'm supposed to jump from one side and turn in the air.  I hadn't been doing that at all.  I can't believe they let me get away with that at the test.  

I practiced that today and realize I've got a lot of work to do there.  But I feel better knowing what I should be doing.  

The last five are traditional techniques that are super Chinese.  Hugging a barrel, painting, etc.  They are crazy hard to do after all the jumping around.  I got home completely soaked and exhausted.  I think I pulled every muscle there was but woke up in one piece.  Just sore.

Hopefully tomorrow will be less painful.    

No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...