Thursday, May 19, 2022

White Belt Brain

Regular Thursday work is partner drills.  I thought we'd pick up from yesterday and work on knife take-aways.  I'd forgotten all about Sam Soo Sik.  This is the one step sparring that has been updated into three step sparring.  In this case the attacker now takes three steps with three punches.

I'm not sure how many of these techniques there are, but Bill has five under his belt.  We went up to three for me, but I was happy just to have the first two more or less learned.  That took the whole class.  

Just like Monday when I found that I'd been doing one of the major kicks incorrectly, I had a similar experience today.  What I consider a hook kick is not really a hook kick in SBD.  The kick is called the table clearer for a reason.  That heel is supposed to be coming around in a flat arc and the knee only bends just before you're starting to put your leg down.  This means I have yet another retooling to go through.  

Truly, when you get your black belt (blue in my case) you start all over again.  I notice that ten-year-old jack doesn't have these problems.  The advantage of youth and skill.  

No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...