Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Your Chinese Roots Are Showing

I'm currently moving again (this time only 8 blocks away), which puts the beatings schedule into some jeopardy.  However, my wife is supportive of me going so I'm able to balance things this week.  Last week was just too physically exhausting.  Going to class at 7 and then go running in the afternoon just about broke me.  The runs were horrible.  I'm clearly not in that kind of shape.  

This week I'm going to the evening class and running on opposite days.  It's not optimal for moving, but I'm not completely wiped out either.  

Last night we ran through all the hand techniques, which could be considered strikes as well as blocks.  I'm trying to learn Korean words via flashcards (Ankidroid in my case) which works wonders, but there is no pronunciation so I'm often left with no idea with what's being said.  I was picking a few things up now and then.  

The latest difference I'm getting used to now is that the blocks and strikes all seem to come from under the arm.  In Shudokan it was about half and half so I'm often fumbling around.  

We then moved to forms where the language barrier to another turn.  The teachers are focused on my getting my first or second degree in SBD since I have a belt in Tang Soo Do from back in the day.  The see it as a transferable item as long as give the year to them for retraining.  As a part of this, the terms I used in Shodokan and before are coming back up, but have a different twist.  For instance, last night I was working with a teacher of lesser rank, a Jo Kyo (pronounced, "Joke Yo") on Ni Han Shi Cho Dan.  In my last school, known as NiFanshi.  You'd think I'd be able to say that without stumbling, but no.  Every time.  Sigh.

It's been awhile since I'd worked on that one, maybe five years.  So my teacher walked me through it and by the end of the class I was back in the game.  Several things are different, but the main pattern is there.  I'll practice that each day to make sure I don't flub up things or get the name wrong.  


No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...