Friday, June 11, 2021

Change Is The Only Constant

I would say that a foundational aspect to teaching martial arts is repetition.  At some point you need to practice a thing enough that it becomes part of muscle memory.   

I haven't been to this school very long; maybe three weeks at this point.  The teachers continue to change the content based on the needs of the student's level of practice.  Since I'm in a black belt level group the teachers shift gears pretty frequently to cover a lot of content.  Wednesday's class was split between a test and forms.

One of the extremely young folks (with a Red dobok) was testing for his next rank.  I was a judge which was odd since I didn't know the procedures, but it was fairly close to all the stuff we'd been doing at the Shudokan school.  

A cool addition was breaking.  I've never had that as requirement, so I was pretty intrigued.  They have a rack on the wall that holds the board.  Then our young man executes a hook kick beautifully.  I was impressed.  He used the exact amount of energy to do the work.  Super cool.  I would have overdone it.  

The new portion of this was the questions.  Yikes!  Kinda tough work for a guy I would guess was 9 or 10.  I assume he passed or this was a pre-test.  I wasn't really certain and there wasn't any room to ask.  

We switched gears as soon as that was done to forms.  In SBD there are 10 kata up to the first rank of black belt.  I think this is fairly standard.  So we went through the second half of them.  I remember the name, but that was about it.  We got through four of the forms and that was a trial.  Lots of corrections for me, but I was honestly just trying to remember the patterns.  Ugh.  

I got my membership completed and now I have a Gup number, so I'm official.  Wee.  I was also given a manual and told to find the transfer section.  To sort out the requirements to migrate my belt over.  Ugh.  Eventually I'll need to test and it'll be based on my teachers estimate of my level of skill.  So far it's crap.  Thankfully I'm in no hurry.  Just learning.

No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...