Friday, November 19, 2021

Deep Sleep To Kicks In A Half Hour

What a start to the day. For the first time ever I slept through my alarm, I slept through my coffee maker starting and was only starting to wake up when the cat was scratching at the litter box.  My wife finally nudged me and told me to get up.  Let's just say I was disoriented.  At least I didn't fall over while trying to get my underwear on and take the rest of the time just trying to get my knots tied on my gi.

My wife told me later she was worried about me driving over to the school.  Thankfully no one is on the streets, but I managed to do a late break so I wouldn't run over an early morning runner.  Figures.

I did my normally but abbreviated warm up this morning at the school.  I run around the room counting in Korean to get my legs moving better.  I start with very modest exercise at the house just wake everything up.  

Andy wanted to complete our work from yesterday.  We had four more wrist grabs/escapes to complete.  I didn't recall these, but apparently I'd done them with Keith awhile back, so it took a bit to remember them.  These four consist of two side wrist grabs and two back wrist grabs.

The back grabs consist of the bad guy holding your arms behind your by your wrists.  In the two different variations, one pulls down and one pushes up.  The push up one we lean over and give a back kick and then step back and switch grips and cycle your arms into a double arm bar.  Once I relaxed it worked fine, but thinking of two wrist releases at the same made my head ache.  

After than we move to Il soo sik. Il soo sik is one step sparring.  That means your partner, the shoe, throws a punch and you do three or four moves against them. For instance, I front kick into an attack, side kick, knock arm out of the way and then do a spinning inside/outside kick, followed by a punch to the gut.

The ones I can remember:

- Sudo the punch, punch the gut, punch the face, round house the stomach
    - Then do it from the left

- Inside block to block the punch, punch the gut, punch the face and then side kick the body.
    - Then do it to from the left

That's four of them and then the ones I did above.  Boy I need a better memory.

Edit:

On one of the techniques we bring down the edge of the hand on the cheek bone.  It's a unique overhand kinda thing.  Andy got a piece of breaking wood out and held it out approximately in the place where we I would hit during the Il so sik.  Boom first try.  There is something other worldly about breaking wood with a hand.  Very reaffirming.  





No comments:

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...