PPT

Piss Poor Teaching.

I talked with Teacher before class and reminded myself of to work on the slowness I needed and focus on fundamentals.  However, after mentoring a new guy (Hippie) for the first hour I was feeling unusually good about my segment in the 2nd hour. 

My part was on the Cat stance.  I reviewed all of our stances in Japanese (because I can’t remember the chases – Hu Gul in this case).  I gave a brief introduction foot placement, weight placement, etc.  We practiced movement back and forth and everyone looked pretty good doing it.  I threw in front snaps kicks and finally got to the double knife hand (Mahk ki something something) over the lead leg.  We got so good at this I started cracking jokes.  As soon as I did this I started mentally cursing myself for making said jokes.  Not that they were bad, but I told myself I wouldn’t, but as soon as I did it the mental cursing messed me up. 

I didn’t have the heart to talk to teacher afterwards.  So last night I had terrible nightmares of teaching, messing things up and never really get lessons started because I was bogged down in all the little things.  Damn, I’m neurotic. 

Comments

Ikigai said…
Don't sweat it! It takes awhile to find your teaching rhythm. There are plenty of times when I look back at classes and realize that I killed the momentum of the class or got way too far off-topic.

Eventually your sense of humor will become an asset to your teaching skills.

Best,
Matt
Potatoe Fist said…
Thanks for the positive support. I talked with Teacher afterwords and he felt that humor was appropriate, but it was out of sequence for me. I think I'll do bettter in time once I find that "rhythm."

Popular posts from this blog

Gesundheit!

Just Some More Work

Keeping it 100