Friday, December 08, 2006

M. Jordan

A long time I ago I was listening to a NPR story and I heard this guy talk about his experience playing basketball in a evening. He was short and fat knew he would never play in the NBA, however he related that at one point in his life, for one evening, for every shot he took, it was if the hoop was 12 feet wide. He would take his shots and turn to run without evening looking because he knew they were going in. He described is as to how Micheal Jordan must have felt every time he played.

I felt that way last night in a Karate way. We were practicing a lot of randori and focus drills and I was on fire. Every choice I took was quick, focused and even the others in class were murmuring about how good I looked.

However to every great thing there must be balance so with all my enthusiasm I ended up spraining my thumb (again) and covered myself in some serious bruises. I didn't even feel any of it during the evening. I noticed the thumb on the drive home when I tried to put the key into the ignition and start the car. Yow. This morning I noticed that I looked like a spousal abuse case.

3 comments:

Patrick Parker said...

Now THAT is some great anecdote!

We like to call those 'aiki moments' when everything is clear and slow and effortless and perfect.

There is a pretty cool book called 'Mental Toughness Training for Sports' that talks about how to make your performance like that more consistently. highly recommended reading.

Mathieu said...

12 feet wide. hard to miss indeed.

There are such moments when everything is in control. Or rather, that your body is available for every task you set upon it. And when you put a demand on it, it simply responds in the best way it can.

Those moments are great. It also comes a lot on : just doing things. Stop wanting to and just doing things. But I'm so far from that...

Hope you heal quickly.

Miss Chris said...

I'm having a laugh over you saying you looked like a spousal abuse case. Amidst all my injuries I got a few concerned looks from strangers!

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...