Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Challenge Complete

100 Days

The actually count turned out to be 102 because I missed two days in the last week due to travel.  I couldn't quite figure out where to squeeze in push-ups until after the fact.  I should have been knocking them out in airport waiting areas.  I would have looked like an ass, but it would have been nice to have all my days of the challenge contiguous.  

Running selfie in PA. Not featured - spraying vomit at mile 2.


This is what I know at this point:

  • My best run was 80 in a row
  • I'm kind of sad that I didn't make 100 hundred, but not sure it's possible without careful training
  • Trying to do 100 in a row everyday is not careful training
  • Regular change is in sequence helped me the most.  E.G. 20, 60, 20 then 50, 50 the next day.
  • The lack of rest break for recovery probably held me back the most.  I clearly needed more than 24 hours.  
I've read on Striking Thoughts that Push-ups, Squats, and sit-ups are the go to workout when you can't get to the gym and I'm going to totally agree. Being at the absolute nadir of caring about fitness, the push-ups acted as a life-buoy to keep me going.  I was so motivated following vacation that I ran in one of our late year 5Ks.  Let me be clear that I did not train for this in any shape or form, but I was able to finish in less than a half hour which is totally respectable for me.  This was completed with two moments of walking. If I didn't walk I would have had a very good time.  The race was also done in the worst weather I've ever experienced.  So all in all I did really well.

So I went back to the gym after a week or so off.  I guess I hadn't recovered form the race.  I had to drag myself through a mile on the treadmill and a few light weight-baring exercises.  Recovery in my late 40s is something to be respected I gather.  

Friday I'm going to be 47.  This will mark my 10th year in this martial journey. I am at daily work on Kata and I'm somewhat frozen at the 15th Kata, but if you asked me a decade ago if I'd ever have a Black belt I would have told you you were nuts.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

I'm barely getting out of the ditch. 10 hour days, work stress and my questionable lower back/hip are causing issues. Also I suspect the med I'm on aggravates old injuries (they only give it to athletes in the off season). I gained weight and am up to 198 lbs. Shit. Piss. Fuck!

I have a lack of energy and motivation -- part because of the long days and part because of being 46.

I've mixed up the diet (again) and will see if I can stick to it. I REALLY need to stick with exercise at least 4x a week. Yesterday was day 1. 3 more to go. We'll see if it all holds together.

I've tried to research "natural" energy supplements for old guys. Filtering out the "Low T" ads and much of what is left sounds like bullshit.

Maybe there is no magic pill?

:-/

Potatoe Fist said...

I'm still looking for that pill myself! Just remember you can be 198 just as long as you wear it well.

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...