Friday, March 23, 2007

A Moment of Brilliance

My wife is back from her journey and I was surprised when she let me just trapse off to beatings. I figured after a week and half she'd be, "I miss you and I want to spend time with you." Not that this is bad and I would have been fine with this, it's just not what I expected.

So off I went expecting a bland class with Nilon and Beard. Surprise! We had Check, AOS, then Kid Speed and Beard for the second hour. Check gave us some bad news while we were warming up - she wants to move South. Problems with her ex and daughters and the lack of any warmth here for a year have put her into a moving frame of mind. Dang.

The exercise flow started with a two-step consisting of backfist step punch. This migrated into someone grabbing you from behind and punching. This was met with the backfist (properly done you'd get a block and strike at once) and then punch. We had to practice outside and inside because Teacher says under pressure you never know which way you're going to go. After profficiency we moved on to sparring.

I didn't realize that I had missed it so. I felt alive in every sense of the world. No matter how many troubles there are in the world and in my life (not too many) there exists nothing beyond the conflict at hand. Other than a lot of fun last night I did a beautiful thing. I executed a roundhouse aimed at the side of Beard and as he blocked I changed direction to gently pop him on the side of the face. I have never been able to execute such precision before. Awesome.

3 comments:

Miss Chris said...

Ahh...this post makes me miss karate class!

Potatoe Fist said...

Sorry to create the feeling. I'm always checking your blog to see if you are back at it...

Silverstar said...

Hi potatoe,
Sounds like you had a good class.
Its nice when you can see yourself improving and techniques look smooth and well executed.:)

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...