Friday, January 26, 2007

Dearth

First of all thanks to all for the comments. I mentioned somewhere that there isn't a lot of people to celebrate the accomplishment with, so knowing that there is someone out there who knows how I feel by virtue of experiencing the same thing is awesome.

Following my test the class has gone through a substantial change or maybe I wasn't paying attention. The adult class was down to me and Check last night. When I first started four years ago there would be occasions where the class would be just one person and it would feel like private lessons.

I found out later that Arms of Steel fell on the ice and hurt his leg and Kid Speed had a birthday party to attend. Still the class feels empty. At the very least Beard shows up regularly for the second hour, but even he didn't show last night. I know our weather is bad, but this seems ridiculous.

I realize the life blood of our class is to have many folks attend regularly. We have been suffering lately. I guess I wish more parents would show up and join like I have heard at other places. Teacher doesn't seem to mind to much, but it brings on a change in his behavior that drives me crazy.

For the last two sessions Teacher starts to bullshit while we warm up. This goes on for 20 minutes! I'm anxious to interrupt him, but there isn't a way. I ended up bouncing in front of him ready to go. I think he's tired after the kids class and wants to unwind before we start. Or, perhaps, he just wants some time to connect with us. Arggh.

I didn't post on Wednesday because it was this way, but I had some excellent sparring. However a problem is emerging with shorter partners. Instead of doing a lower block (gae dan?) they will drop their elbow straight down into the top of my foot or shin. Painful. Tuesday Arms of Steel did this repetitively. It was instructive in that I would roundhouse to his head more often. I don't mind. By the end of the night I had punched him and kicked in the head once each. Heee.

Last night Check and I were sparring and I was trying to force myself to block correctly instead of the half ass stuff I normally do when I got the punch in the face. There is nothing like the meat smack of a punch to the face. Too bad I wasn't the one giving it.

No black eye this morning - dang.

4 comments:

uchi deshi said...

I like your use of descriptive names to protect the innocent and guilty. I am sometimes in a quandary as to what names or aliases to give to the other students, since some are sensitive, and some are not always portrayed in the most flattering light (although I try not to write about the worst!).

frotoe said...

What is up with the punching-of-the-face in your dojo??? Its not allowed where I go. I mean, it happens, but I don't think its "legal". I'm sorry you didn't at least get a black eye...:) geez- what a rip-off. heh heh

Potatoe Fist said...

We aren't supposed to have contact unless it's controlled, but as you know, in some cases uki moves a bit to far forward...

I know I shouldn't, but I love the bruises - they are visible marks of progress in my mind.

Mathieu said...

Hey there,

"For the last two sessions Teacher starts to bullshit while we warm up. This goes on for 20 minutes!"

What's "bullshit"? NOt litteraly, but what you mean by that?


"By the end of the night I had punched him and kicked in the head once each. Heee."
You sound like a kid having received a new toy!
LOLOL
They're supposed to be "accidents!".

hehe, be well.

Your Clothes, Book Cast With 100%

  At 6:05am I looked at my phone quizzically while trying to wake up.  My SaBomNim (master teacher), who is legally blind, sent me the messa...